Monday, October 4, 2021

Saint Francis of Assisi

 

The Spiritual Wings of St. Francis of Assisi

A short story about St. Francis of Assisi

Born around 1181 

Died October 3rd, 1226
on the evening while listening to 

Psalm 142..
I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy. I pour out before Him my complaint; before Him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who watch over my way. In the path where I walk people have hidden a snare for me. Look and see, there is no one at my right hand; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. I cry to you, Lord; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me. Set me free from my prison that I may praise your name. Then the righteous will gather about me because of your goodness to me. 




1

Feast Day October 4th, Canonized on 16 July 1228.

It has become a tradition to bless animals on his feast day. 

St. Francis is famous for his simple thoughts and quotes... He was a loving and mystical person. 

"He spent some time in lonely places, asking God for spiritual enlightenment. He said he had a mystical vision of Jesus Christ in the forsaken country chapel of San Damiano, just outside Assisi, in which the Icon of Christ Crucified said to him, "Francis, Francis, go and repair My house which, as you can see, is falling into ruins."   "This is Quoted from wikipedia.org" 

St. Francis prayed beneath this cross

San Damian Crucifix

Around 1224 St. Francis had an apparition of an angel while in deep prayer and meditation. Some say he was in a religious ecstasy. When he was gifted the Stigmata, which are the wounds of Christ, at that time. He is the Patron Saint of the nature, birds and animals. He is the founder of the Franciscan Order and other orders. He was also noted for having had the first live nativity scene, with live animals at Christmas. He loved Christ and the Holy Eucharist. 

There is so much to be said about this wonderful saint... 

I could spend everyday in this blog writing about him. Instead I am sharing some videos and links with you to help spur your interest in St. Francis of Assisi. 

Saint Francis - Quotes Part 1

~~~

St. Francis ministered to the birds 

as they flocked to him... 


He loved all of God's creation... 

~~~

Saint Francis - Quotes Part 2


Have a blessed St. Francis Day everyday! 
~~~

Paige St. James 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation & Reflection for HOLY WEEK on the 7 Sorrows of Mother Mary

“Meditation/Reflection on the seven sorrows of Mary” Introduction: Make a sign of the cross...  In The Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spir...