Friday, May 7, 2021

An Angel Appears to St. Monica

 
 
The Angel Appears to St. Monica by Pietro Maggi

~~~

Prayer for intercession of St. Monica:

DEAR ST. MONICA, 
I  NEED YOUR PRAYERS.
YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW I’M FEELING 
BECAUSE YOU ONCE
FELT IT YOURSELF. 
 
I’M HURTING, HOPELESS,
AND IN DESPAIR. 
I DESPERATELY WANT MY CHILD
TO RETURN TO CHRIST AND HIS CHURCH 
BUT I CAN’T DO IT ALONE.
 
I NEED GOD’S HELP. 
PLEASE JOIN ME IN ASKING THE
LORD’S POWERFUL GRACES 
TO FLOW INTO MY CHILD’S LIFE.
 
ASK THE LORD JESUS TO SOFTEN 
THEIR HEART, PREPARE A PATH FOR THEIR CONVERSION, 
AND ACTIVATE THE HOLY SPIRIT IN THEIR LIFE. 
 
THROUGH JESUS CHRIST. 
 
AMEN
 
Click the Link below to learn more about St. Monica  
 

"She prayed for St. Augustine for 17 years before his conversion"

"Much of what St. Monica is known for is her persistence in prayer. Her son, St. Augustine of Hippo, lived a life of immorality, most notably that of lust and impurity, before converting to Catholicism. Throughout these years, she endured a tremendous amount of suffering."

"Augustine rejected her on multiple accounts, but she continued to love, pray and nurture her son throughout his wayward time."

"She felt discouraged, but never gave up"

"St. Monica cried many times over her son’s transgressions, but received affirmation from God on several accounts."

"St. Monica had a dream in which she wept over her son, and a figure told her that he was still with her. In his autobiography, The Confessions of Saint Augustine, St. Augustine wrote, "“that it was my soul’s doom she was lamenting…” The figure told her to be at peace, and “see that where she was there I was also.”

"She also received encouragement from a local bishop, who told her that “God’s time will come.” He added, “Go now, I beg you; it is not possible that the son of so many tears should perish.”

"She knew her purpose in life"

St. Monica wept, prayed and sacrificed for her son for many years. Her greatest desire in life was to see her son’s conversion to Catholicism, and once this happened, she believed her purpose in life had been fulfilled. She said to Augustine just a few days before she came down with a fever that caused her death:

“My son, speaking of myself, nothing earthly delights me any longer. I do not know why I am still here or why I should remain here. I have no further earthly desires.”

Quoted Reference: ChruchPop.com

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The picture above is from DominicanaJournal.Org   

 'The Angel Appears to St. Monica by Pietro Maggi '

Click this blue link to learn more from Brother Hartman about St. Monica...

 More from Br. Hartman about St. Monica  

"Thus you gave another answer through your priest, a certain bishop nurtured in the Church and trained in your books. When that woman implored him to consider speaking with me, to refute my errors, un-teach me evil, and teach me good…he refused her, quite prudently, as I understood later. He responded that I was as yet indocile, that I was inflated with my heresy’s novelty… “but let him be. Only pray for him to the Lord: he will discover by reading what his error is…” She would not acquiesce to what he said but continued imploring… “Go away,” he said, “while you live, the son of these tears of yours shall not perish!” (The Confessions of St. Augustine III, 12)" 

Quoted from Dominicana Journal; Brother Hartman

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditation & Reflection for HOLY WEEK on the 7 Sorrows of Mother Mary

“Meditation/Reflection on the seven sorrows of Mary” Introduction: Make a sign of the cross...  In The Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spir...